Welcome to the British Asparagus Festival in the Vale of Evesham
2014 Festival, starting St. George's Day
23rd April until 21st June
Wednesday 23 April
Great English Asparagus Run
Wednesday 23 April - Saturday 21 June
Wednesday 14 May
Asparagus Night Cookery Demonstration
Wednesday 14, 21 & 28 May
Asparabus Coach Tours
Sunday 25 May
Bretforton Silver Band Asparagus Auction
Monday 26 May
Asparagus Festival Family Fun Day
Saturday 31 May Sunday 1 June
Friday 20 Sunday 22 June
Evesham National Morris Weekend
The official start of the UK’s eight-week asparagus season launches with the Great English Asparagus Run. It celebrates the first-cut round of asparagus with all the pomp and ceremony you’d expect on Saint George’s Day.
The Run traditionally begins at the National Trust’s only pub - the Vale of Evesham’s Fleece Inn. Following a morning of festivities, the newly-harvested spears are escorted by a fleet of Morgan Cars to destinations such as Parliament and Buckingham Palace.
Following the Run, Worcestershire goes asparagus crazy throughout May and June. Scores of pubs and restaurants serve asparagus-themed menus whilst shops sell an array of asparagus products ranging from sausages, jam, ice cream and even soap!
Visitors to the county can hop on an Asparabus for a tour of the local growers to learn more about the venerated vegetable as well as enjoy cookery demonstrations and tastings.
New for 2014 is the AsparaWriting Festival -
a relaxing, fun and uniquely writer-led series of two-day events throughout the asparagus season where individuals can learn about writing, Worcestershire, asparagus and all things related.
Bigger and better than ever, 2014 features Asparafest the horticultural answer to The Big Chill combining great music, food, drink and fun within a festival setting.
The celebrations culminate at the end of May over the Bank Holiday weekend with the Bretforton Silver Band Asparagus Auction.
The celebrations have been recognised as one of the UK’s most eccentric with appearances by Gus the Asparagus Man, fortune telling by Asparamancer Jemima Packington and the crowning of the King of Asparagus.
More information regarding this year's festival will be posted here. Check back soon!
Asparamancer's Tasty Tips - predictions for 2014
Jemima Packington, the world famous Asparamancer has once again made her predictions for 2014 with the help of Worcestershire asparagus.
“Sometimes what comes to you can seem incredibly off the wall,” said Miss Packington. “Yet sometimes you are certain."
This year's predictions are:
1. Loss of a senior member of the royal family will give rise to great sadness and the end of an era.
2. But additions to the family will compensate with more Royal pregnancies on the horizon.
3. Royal engagements/ weddings will lift the spirits.
4. The weather situation in the Far East will get much worse as the year progresses.
5. Middle Eastern politics will give rise to yet more international concern and a worldwide situation will occur but disaster will be narrowly avoided.
6. 2014 will become the year of the divorce with an incredible number of separations and divorces especially among highprofile couples who are seemingly happy together.
7. Political turmoil will dog one party leader and there will be no escape from the consequences.
8. Sport and sportsmen in the UK will have a miserable time. There will be incredible struggle to capitalise on previous successes, but to no avail.
9. Worldwide, businesses large and small will finally realise that an holistic approach to employment of their workforce is imperative for healthy growth.
10. A major mogul in the entertainment industry will announce his retirement.
11. A supergroup will announce they are splitting up.
12. A major winter storm in January will bring more chaos and misery to the UK.